Backup your website with FTP and FileZilla
You can make a backup of your website files by downloading a copy to your computer with FTP. You can use any FTP client to download your site – we recommend FileZilla.
Downloading your website or your entire hosting account can take awhile, depending on the size of your site and your internet connection.
- Download, install, and launch FileZilla.
- Complete the following fields, and then click Quickconnect.
Note: To make sure you use the right information, it helps to know what type of hosting account you have.
Field What to enter… Host Your domain name or IP address (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Username Your FTP username (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Password Your FTP password (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Port 21
- In the Remote Site area, open your website’s root directory (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic).
- In the Local Site area, open a folder on your computer where you want to store the backup.
- To download your website to your computer, select all of your website’s files and directories, and then drag them from the Remote Site area into the Local Site area.
You now have a backup of your website’s files on your computer.
- If you need to restore your website from this backup, you can (use FileZilla to upload your website files.)